Saturday, August 8, 2009

It's the BIG one!

The BIG 6-0 has arrived, with a modicum of kicking and screaming. I really don't feel much different than I did yesterday, but I suppose that is how it works. I think it was less hectic being at the beach than in Chile.... and when you get old, less hectic is good.

I heard from all my kiddos and got gifts and cards, so I was a happy man. The girls put together a marvelous book of pictures from the trust celebration in Montana in Feb. I was surprised, but not overwhelmed--that's the kind of thing tech savvy children do nowadays. It wasn't until I looked at the book with its text that I was truly surprised. The written content surrounding the pictures was extremely well-written, witty and with a distinct style. That wouldn't be a surprise, but what I found ingenious was that it was taken from my own blog of the trip! You can't go wrong giving a man something in book form he wrote himself--who else could capture the memories better? Of course, at age 60, my memory isn't what it used to be.... It was very clever and much appreciated.

I also got lovely pictures of Pierce and a new addiction (thanks, Brant) in the form of an Indiana Jones LEGO Wii game. I wondered what I would do with those extra 90 hours of free time I don't have. But, someone has to do it.... Another book came in the mail from HLeer as well--a picture book that included items from the Germany trip in 2006. How long ago that seemed!

As to the day itself, it was quiet. Jane and I went out to dinner at North Beach Bistro with Johnny and Lynn and, in keeping with my new Senior Citizen status, we went early. (Truth be told, it was to get in during Happy Hour.) A couple of draft Newcastles and age was just a number--a blurry one. We then stopped by Blockbuster to rent a new movie for my Blu-Ray. Did I mention I bought myself one for my birthday? The selection was slim that night, and we ended up having to settle for National Treasure II (my choice, sadly--no one else to take the blame). While the movie was not up to our usual standards, the visual presentation was stunning; actually, the movie did teach me a valuable lesson: a stupid movie rendered beautifully in Blu-Ray is still a stupid movie. Between this and the latest Nick Cage BOMB (that would be Knowing), I have to add him to my "swear-off" list, right up there with Keanu Reeves and Dennis Hopper (think Speed--ooo, ooo, a twofer).


Remember the Hippie author who wrote Steal This Book? Someone should write "Steal This Movie" on every copy out there, followed by "...then throw it away." Save a fellow human being's brain today!

No comments: