Saturday, January 31, 2009

Vacation!

Day 1: the clock is ticking...less than 8 hours until the van picks us up at the house, and less than 11 hours before we are winging off to the big skies of Big Sky. I'm pretty keyed up, and yet calm at the same time. Legs and wind are pretty good--not the best I've ever been, but certainly good enough to feel comfortable that first week. And the second week...look out guys.

Things are the most planned they have ever been. I have bags shipped and waiting at the lodge; we're being driven to the airport for less than what it would cost to park a car for a week; I have lift tickets for Sunday waiting at the house; and I have even selected a spot for dinner upon arrival in Bozeman. Who is this crazy man? Age hath yet its honor and its toil...some noble work of note may yet be done...to strive, to seek, and not to yield.

I suppose we must change some with age or it will change us in ways we don't like. And now, to sleep. O-dark-30 comes early in these parts.

Day 1, part deux: Woke without the alarm. How does that happen? I can't wake to go to work worth a damn, and now, after 6 hours, my eyes are wide. Ah, well....

Ride should be here in about an hour. Nothing left to do now but have coffee and get dressed. Thankfully it is coldish here, so wearing a ski jacket won't be a problem.

And so it begins....

I had asked the driver to come at 8:15 so we would have time to pack the car and leave by 8:30 (for an 11:30 flight). Better an hour early than 5 minutes late. Unfortunately he came at 8 and we were out of the driveway at 8:15. I had wanted to protect against Superbowl traffic, but there was none. The guy was a speed demon, so we ended up at the airport 2 hours early. Ouch.

The flights were uneventful, smooth, and seemingly short. Arriving at Bozeman at 5:30, we got the cars and headed to the pizza parlor I had found on the internet; the meal was excellent and a good start to the trip. Then Jane and I went to Bozeman's Super Walmart for groceries while we waited for Pam and Dave's flight. I don't recall ever spending so much time at Wallymart and having it seem so short. The flight came in at 11:50 (late), so by the time we wandered around, we didn't get to the house until 2:00. Ouch. Bozeman airport is pretty cute.

The next day, I was up at 9, ready to go. But that bleeds into Day 2….

No comments: