Monday, September 6, 2010

Guest Pass to Beach Week

The kids all (all but Shelley and Brantley) gathered at Anna Maria for the perennial Beach Week, and Jane and I popped over for the day. It was Labor Day, so it is appropriate they spend it with their mother. As to Brian and Pete, not sure what that connection implies, other than it's work to stay sane when the Stockton clan gets together.

I had just gotten my new EVO Droid phone and was dying to show it off to the iPhone crowd from out West. It has all the good stuff like a nav program, internet access, etc.  So we were rolling along on our way to Anna Maria using the nav function of the phone. As we turned west towards Bradenton, Jane asked me something about a song...I think it was who wrote "My Way" by Frank Sinatra.  Of course, I had to look it up on my phone, and though I ultimately found it, i was using the phone at a critical point in the navigation.  I was already irritated by the voice, so I had turned the volume down.  by the time we were on the big bridge, I realized something wasn't quite right, as we were heading back to St. Pete.  Pulled off, turned around, and cranked up the Tom Tom to head back over the bridge towards the island.  Made for a late arrival, but I learned a lesson about trying to use too many functions at once.
The house was lovely, and close to the beach. It was fun to see everyone again, though I wonder if the twins remembered us--they seemed preoccupied with the pool, as young children can be.  Pierce was a doll, as usual, and we had a smooth visit. I tried to let him beat me at ping pong, but I couldn't play that badly. Great to see everyone, even if only for a short while, and the absence of B & S was noticeable.  On to the wedding!!

No comments: