Saturday, November 20, 2010

the Future will be here soon

I went to a Dreadnaughts game last night for the first time.  Aside from the many ways high school football has changed, I was astounded by the size of the players.  What have we been putting in our food the last 40 years?  One of the largest ones, and the fellow I had come to see, was the quarterback of the opposing Hagerty Hounds, who has committed to play for the Gators next year.  This man (in every sense of the word) is touted as the Second Coming of St. Tim.  And he was all that...and more.  Remember his name, because you may be hearing it for years to come--Jeff Driskel.

Certainly Jeff has the potential to be the greatest Gator QB ever, but then, Tim's high school highlight reel was just as jaw-dropping as what I saw last night.  The biggest difference I saw was in speed--Jeff is faster than Tebow (though Tim Terrific was deceptively fast, he relied more on bull-em-over) and has slicker moves.  Jeff singlehandedly kept his team in the game, and accounted for a total (running, passing, and receiving) of almost 500 yards! On two of his TD runs, he broke through and outran the entire LHS secondary, in one case putting on a burst of speed to get by a player who had taken an excellent angle on him. Unbelievable!  We will have to see if he develops all that promise at the next level, but he is scary good.
I ended up taking some video with my Droid, but missed the best plays.  This is the only one that came out, and is also the first video I have ever uploaded to YouTube. Ya-hoo!... or whatever.

The noise is pretty harsh, but none of that is me yelling; Jeff shows how hard it is to sack him.

No comments: